6 chicken breasts (approx. 110 g each) You can also use chicken quarters, adjust cooking time accordingly.
2 apples (preferably Golden Delicious type)
3 large onions
4 tablespoons butter (2 oz)
2 cups of brut cider from Brittany
2 tablespoons of Cognac (optional)
1/2 cup of cream
2 pinches of ground nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
- Cut onions into fine strips.
- Cut apples into small cubes (1cm squared).
- Add onions and apples to a frying pan with 2 tablespoons of butter. Cook on medium heat for 5-7 minutes until golden.
- In a larger thicker pan melt remaining butter. Add the Cognac and brown chicken breasts (3 minutes).
- Add the cooked onions and apples and cover with the cider.
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Allow to simmer (without cap) until 2/3 of the cider has evaporated, approximately 30-40 minutes.
- Remove the chicken breasts and set aside keeping them warm.
- Pour the cream into the cider sauce and stir for a few minutes. If necessary, to thicken sauce, add a teaspoon of flour.
- Coat the chicken with the sauce.
- Immediately serve with rice or potatoes